Communities in Motion has been working with the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services and The Center for Strategic Partnerships to expand and strengthen faith-based partnerships. In 2018, the LA County Board of Supervisors with support and investment from philanthropy adopted a motion that would result in stronger participation and participation of the faith community in supporting families and foster youth.
The mission of LAC FIM is to establish collaborations and partnerships between DCFS and FBOs that will strengthen communities, create healthier families and improve self-sufficiency. LAC FIM will:
- Focus on faith-based partnerships because these partnerships are critical to service delivery and the continuum of care for children, youth and families in the child welfare system;
- Expand and develop efforts that will lead to sustainability and foster trust building with FBOs;
- Support DCFS’ Invest LA initiative, which focuses on promoting system improvements in safety, permanency and well-being for children;
- Be inclusive of building and sustaining effective services, resources and practices, including recruitment and retention of prospective resource families; and
- Include an infrastructure that takes into consideration approaches and practices to be applied consistently, with the goal of building sustainability and promoting consistent partnerships with faith communities.
CONNECTING AND GETTING INVOLVED
LAC FIM provides different ways for faith partners to get involved, which includes the following:
- Connecting and becoming involved with DCFS through local regional offices and specialized programs will facilitate direct connections between faith partners and DCFS. Each regional office has two designated FBLs who give faith partners information about local needs and projects.
- Becoming involved in the LA County Faith Collaborative to inform the implementation of LAC FIM and network with other faith leaders and stakeholders.
- Learning more about existing faith-based initiatives by contacting the DCFS Faith-Based Section.
To learn more about LAC FIM, contact Dominique Robinson, DCFS Faith-Based Section Program Manager at email@example.com.